Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting warning : To avoid any disruptions, change the password used in your Git client

Arqam Ahmad February 2, 2022

I am using Windows OS, and cmd to do git operations.

Lately I have started receiving following warning : 
remote: You are using an account password for Git over HTTPS.
remote: Beginning March 1, 2022, users are required to use app passwords
remote: for Git over HTTPS.
remote: To avoid any disruptions, change the password used in your Git client
remote: to an app password.
remote: Note, these credentials may have been automatically stored in your Git client
remote: and/or a credential manager such as Git Credential Manager (GCM).
remote: More details:
remote: https://bitbucket.org/blog/deprecating-atlassian-account-password-for-bitbucket-api-and-git-activity

I created the app password as mentioned and in the cmd I did git config --unset credential.helper

But again, when I did git push it didn't ask me for password and gave the same warning.

Help please!!

1 answer

1 vote
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2022

Hi @Arqam Ahmad,

The command git config --unset credential.helper will unset a credential helper set on a repository level, and not the one set on the system level (for all users on your computer) or on the global level (set for your user only).

Please also keep in mind that if you unset the credential helper, you will be required to give an app password in every clone/pull/push operation.

You can check what credential helper is set on the system and global level with the following commands:

git config --system credential.helper
git config --global credential.helper

Then, instead of unsetting the credential helper, I would recommend

• Removing any saved credentials for bitbucket.org from that credential helper
  • In case you use any Git GUI client as well, check the settings of that client to see if it has any saved credentials for bitbucket.org and remove them as well

If you remove any saved credentials from the credential helper, you should get asked for a password next time you clone, pull or push. You can then provide the app password, and it should be saved in the credential helper.

Please feel free to let me know how it goes and if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events