Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with an existing local project folder

dpetican July 23, 2017

I tried to follow the suggested steps to setup my exisiting local project directory but it failed.  Why? Becuase of terminology.  The link said "I have an exisiting project".  When I clicked on it I got "Step 1: Switch to your repository's directory".  I have a project on my computer not a repository.

So what to do?  I started from scratch.  I followed all the steps including the very uninituitive one of cloning an empty repository.

I then copied my exisiting files from another directory into the empty cloned directory.  Did a git add * and followed the rest of the steps.

Voila! I added an exisiting project folder to a git repository by starting from scratch.

OY! There has to be a beter way that skips the copying from one directory to another and just uses the exisiting local folder.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2017

Yes, you can do it. When you create a new repository in Bitbucket, it gives you options to start from scratch, start from an existing project folder that is not a git repository and start from an existing git repository. You can just follow the instructions.

I suspect you are after the second option. In that case, you need to initiate a git repository in the existing folder, set the remote url and do a push. That's it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events