Getting error 401 unauthorized while getting list of repos from team

apollopt September 1, 2020

Hello everyone,

I had a funcional script (python 3) doing dailly backups of all repos from a team, and since 2020-08-28 it stops working, and while I was trying to see where was the issue, by changing username to email and even changing password from my atlassian account, I start received error 401 while obtaining the list of repos from the team through that script. I tried with both username and email but same outcome:

response> <Response [401]>

Here is the url that I am using, with login:

import requests

# Request 100 repositories per page (and only their slugs), and the next page URL
next_page_url = 'https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/%s?pagelen=100&fields=next,values.slug' %team
#print ('next_page_url> \n%s'%next_page_url)

# Keep fetching pages while there's a page to fetch
full_repo_list = []

while next_page_url is not None:
response = requests.get(next_page_url, auth=(username, password))
print ("response> %s" %response)
page_json = response.json()
print ("page_json> %s" %page_json)

# Parse repositories from the JSON
for repo in page_json['values']:
full_repo_list.append(repo['slug'])

# Get the next page URL, if present
# It will include same query parameters, so no need to append them again
next_page_url = page_json.get('next', None)

# Result length will be equal to `size` returned on any page
print ("Result: \n", len(full_repo_list))

I have already recheck the password and its the right one.

I really dont know what and why I am still getting the 401 error.

Anyone?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2020

Hello,

For API calls you need to use username for authentication, the email is used for authentication on the website only.

A few things you can try:

Can you try executing the following on a terminal and see if you get the same response or not? This is to narrow down whether the issue is specific to the script or not.

curl -L -X GET --user username:password http://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/<workspace>/

where username and password replace with the values for your account, and <workspace> replace with the workspace ID for the team.

Can you try generating an app-password for your account and see if this works for you in the curl command above and also for your script?

You can find the documentation on generating an app-password here:

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events