Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garbage collection Request

sguzman_vt April 26, 2022

Hi,

I'm trying to reduce size in one of our workspace repository. We have cleared the files which occupied the most space, i had activated the option "Delete dangling commits when over size limit", but it doesn't do anything.

I think we need a garbage collection from support to action this.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2022

Hi @sguzman_vt,

The option "Delete dangling commits when over size limit" will work only if the repo is over the 4 GB limit, AND if you push a git reset.

If you push anything else, like file deletions or history rewrite, the git gc will not get triggered.

I can run a git gc for your repo, could you please share the last two letters of the repo name and also the repo's size as is displayed in Bitbucket UI, so I can identify it?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Hi @Theodora Boudale 

Last two letters are "pp" and repo size is 2 GB.

Thanks for answering.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2022

Hi @sguzman_vt,

I ran a git gc for this repo and its size is 67.7 MB now.

Does this agree with the size of your local repo if you run git count-objects -Hv ?

Kind regards,
Theodora

@Theodora Boudale

Yes they have the same size, thanks for your help.

Kind regards.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2022

That's good to hear and you are very welcome.

Just a heads up, we have a feature request to allow users to run a git gc for their remote repos:

Feel free to add your vote if you'd be interested in that (by selecting the Vote for this issue link). You can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else.

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

Hello, @sguzman_vt ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I'm escalating this to someone from Atlassian so they can help you out.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events