GIT cherry Pick operation using Stash

Hello ,

Does stash support's git cherry pick operation in its hosted repositories ? We want to keep our

commit history linear and clean . Merge operation results in a merge bubble and we want to avoid such scenarios . I think only way to merge branches in stash is pull request and it provides only a merge option hence creating a non linear history.

Regards,

Mohan

1 answer

0 votes
Seb Ruiz Atlassian Team Mar 28, 2013

Whilst the argument for keeping a commit history linear is probably moot here (we don't recommend it, but that's another story), Stash doesn't support an inbuilt method for keeping history linear, via cherry picking or via rebasing pull requests when accepting them.

You can follow this request for more details: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-2874

But we can still cherry pick commits or rebase using command line in a stash hosted git reposiotry rite , using the git native commands?

Seb Ruiz Atlassian Team Mar 29, 2013

Yes, but a pull request will not be marked as "merged". The fastest way to get these answers it to give Stash a trial run and test it.

Ok ... Can we mandate ff and no-ff merge strategies for a pull request merge?

Seb Ruiz Atlassian Team Apr 03, 2013

--no-ff is the default for pull requests. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-2857 for forcing --ff

i got confused since i was not able to locate STASH-2857 in Stash 2.1.0 release notes. Jira indicates this as closed with fix version 2.1.0

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

638 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot