cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GC Request

Dick Lague
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 13, 2024

Hi Team,

Can I request GC for the ***launch/tripletel repo?

I used BFG to remove large files and rewrite index history in order to reduce the repository size. However, under the Bitbucket repository detail, the repo size increased instead of decreased.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 vote
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2024

G'day, @Dick Lague 

Welcome to the community!

I have triggered Git GC on the affected repository, now reduced to 238 MB. Please review them and let me know if this is the expected size.

Regards,
Syahrul

Dick Lague
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 13, 2024

Hi @Syahrul 

Thank you so much. However, I was expected to have repository size close to 18 MB as it was now the size of the repository after we create a new clone.

Here is the result of the following commands:

$ git count-objects -vH

count: 0
size: 0 bytes
in-pack: 6950
packs: 1
size-pack: 16.74 MiB
prune-packable: 0
garbage: 0
size-garbage: 0 bytes

$ du -hs .git

18M .git

$ git bundle create tmp.bundle --all

$ du -hs tmp.bundle

17M tmp.bundle

I was following instruction on this page https://rtyley.github.io/bfg-repo-cleaner/#usage

Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2024

Hi @Dick Lague 

Based on my observation, your repository retains some pull request history, including large files you deleted. This is due to a feature that preserves PRs to enhance their performance. Certain PRs in the repository retain the deleted files, increasing the repository size.

There are a couple of ways to handle this. One approach is disregarding the size since the actual repository size will be reflected when you clone the repository.

Alternatively, you can import the repository to a new one and archive the current one. This method will not carry over the preserved PRs, reducing the size.

Please let me know which option you'd like to pursue or if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Syahrul

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events