cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GC Request

bagusnl
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 19, 2024

Hello Team, 

Can I request GC to a repo that I have admin access to? I had to use BFG earlier but the repo size increased rather than decreased.

The repo is https://bitbucket.org/<redacted> 

Please also delete the branch `main2`, it was created when I attempted to push the BFG'd branch manually but it was a fail.

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2024

Hey @bagusnl and welcome to the Community!

I've manually triggered a Garbage Collection on your repository which managed to reduce its size back to ~400MB!

Now that GC is completed, I would highly recommend you have everyone on your team remove their old copies of the repository and do a fresh clone of it. Since the old clones have a dirty history, it's better to delete them, so you don't risk pushing the dangling objects back into your cleaned repository, which would increase its size again.

As for the branch deletion, while we are not able to do it on our side, you can easily delete a branch from the UI by navigating to your repository and following the below instructions : 

• Click on the Branches option in the left-side navigation panel
  • Look for the branch you want to delete
  • In the line of that branch, click on the tree dot icon and select the Delete option

Hope that helps! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you, @bagusnl !

Patrik S.

bagusnl
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 20, 2024

oh, I was on the "Active branch" filter, unsure why my main2 is tagged inactive but nevertheless I managed to delete it.

Thank you for the help!

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2024

It's usually tagged inactive when there are no new commits to that branch since it was branched off from its parent branch.

Happy to hear you were able to find and delete it :) 

Feel free to reach out to the community if you ever need help!

Thank you, @bagusnl !

Patrik S

Like Sabine Mayer likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events