Full migration from Datacenter to Cloud

peter_boelke December 9, 2021

Hi there,

we want to move our repository from our vendor (datacenter) to our bitbucket instance (cloud). It is required to move all branches which are bleong to the repository and all pull requests. 

How can this be achieved?

thanks

Peter

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2021

Hi Peter,

Are you using Bitbucket Data Center now, or a different product? It is not very clear what product you want to migrate from.

Kind regards,
Theodora

peter_boelke December 12, 2021

Hi Theodora,

yes the repositories currently are on a Bitbucket Data Center.

thanks

Peter

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2021

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. We have a plugin available that allows migration from Bitbucket Server to Bitbucket Cloud, but it is not certified for Bitbucket Data Center yet. We plan to make the plugin Data Center certified by the end of the year.

This plugin can be found here:

There are other ways to migrate the repositories as well, e.g.
- using our importer
- or take a mirror clone of each Bitbucket Data Center repo and push from the mirror clone to an empty Bitbucket Cloud repo

However, these approaches will migrate the Git repo only, with all the branches, but without any metadata, like pull requests.

Since you are interested in pull requests migration, I would recommend doing the migration using the Migration Assistance plugin when it becomes supported for Data Center, as it's the only method that migrates pull requests as well. Please note that the plugin will be compatible with versions 7.x onwards of Bitbucket Data Center.

We also have the following guide on how to plan such a migration:

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

peter_boelke December 14, 2021

Hi Theodora,

thanks for pointing out the import function. The problem we have, is that we also need all pull requests to migrate as well for compliance reason.

Is there any possibility?

thanks

Peter

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
December 14, 2021

Hi Peter,

The import function imports only the git repo, I'm afraid that it is not possible to migrate pull requests this way. The only way to migrate pull requests is using the Bitbucket Cloud Migration Assistant plugin.

However, I spoke with one of our migrations engineers, and there is a workaround available that will allow you to use the current version of this plugin with Bitbucket Data Center if you want to do the migration now.

You can use one of the following two options:

1. You can reduce the number of nodes in your Data Center cluster to 1, and then install and run the Bitbucket Cloud Migration Assistant plugin.

2. You can take a backup of your cluster and create a staging server and run it as a single node instance to migrate with.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events