Fisheye 2.7.0 - Unable to create managed Git repository

Douglas Beatty November 21, 2011

We are evaluating Fisheye and are trying to create a managed Git repository. I followed the steps here http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Creating+Git+Repositories several times, but each time I get the following error:

Unable to clone remote repository: E:\atlassian\managed-repos\<repo-name>.git - [fatal: destination path 'clone' already exists and is not an empty directory.]

I assume we are doing something wrong, but no clue what. Why would it be trying to clone a repository it created?

Anyone have any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Douglas Beatty November 22, 2011

I believe we have determined what happened.

We are evaluating Fisheye. As part of that evaluation, we added a Git repository as an external repository which worked fine. Then we wanted to see how managed Git repositories work so we deleted the external repository.

However, the delete appears to have not removed everything. Specifically, the <repo-name> directory in the 'var/cache' directory under FISHEYE_HOME was not removed. This directory contains the 'clone' directory which is the directory referenced in the error message.

We removed this directory from 'var/cache' directory and it worked.

0 votes
Pierre-Etienne Poirot
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2011

Hi Douglas,

Regarding the error itself, the message is issued by Git when FishEye tries to execute the following command:

git init --bare --shared=false --quiet E:\atlassian\managed-repos\&lt;repo-name&gt;.git

(which fails because a non-empty Git repository already exists at the same location somehow).

If possible, please create an issue on support.atlassian.com so that we can analyse the logs and reproduce the error (note: you can create an issue if you are using an evaluation license).

As a workaround, maybe try to manually remove the directory e:\atlassian\managed-repos (FishEye will re-create it on its next reboot) or just e:\atlassian\managed-repos\<repo-name>.git. If you tried to remove the managed repository from FishEye, what could have happened is that an opened file in the repository (for example because of an antivirus scanner) prevented the removal of the Git repository.

Thanks,

Pierre

I appreciate your responses. We are installing 2.7.7 now.

However, I would like to point out that the error message we are receiving is coming from a 'git clone' command not a 'git init'.

The repository directory does not exist before we create the repository. It is created without issue, then I believe Fisheye, for some reason, is attempting to clone it.

0 votes
Sten Pittet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2011

Hi Douglas,

Did you check if you already have a directory names <repo-name> under e:\atlassian\managed-repos?

The directory was completely empty when I started

Sten Pittet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2011

Have you tried the latest version of FishEye 2.7.7? I can't really see any reason for you to have this issue but if it's a bug it might have been fixed in the latest release.

We are going to try that version tomorrow (central US time). I reviewed the release notes and didn't see anything regarding this, but we are going to try it.

I have searched around and haven't found anyone else with this issue. If the new version doesn't resolve it, we will open a support issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events