Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time setting up a remote repository

Hadrien Dykiel December 23, 2017

Hi folks, this is my first time using SourceTree and I am having some difficulty pushing my local repo to my remote one.  Here's the beginning of the error message I get:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree push -v --tags --set-upstream career-exploration refs/heads/master:refs/heads/master

Pushing to git@bitbucket.org:hdykiel/career-exploration.git

Permission denied (publickey).

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

When I copy my access key from sourcetree and paste it in bitbucket.com, it tells me the key is invalid. Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks in advance,

Hadrien

2 answers

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2017

Hi 
It sounds like you don't have a key associated with your account in bbitbucket and you get the error when you try to add one.

When you created your SSH key did you following the instructions here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/set-up-ssh-for-git-728138079.html#SetupanSSHkey-ssh1?

If you create keys using puttygen it is possible to get the wrong format, I believe SSH2 RSA is the correct one.

Alternatively you can use HTTPS rather than SSH URLs

0 votes
jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 27, 2017

Which operating system?

pacifique kwizera May 10, 2019

windows 10

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events