Extending the repository capacity

Majed Bawarshi October 8, 2021

I am wondering if I could make my bitbucket repo capacity bigger than 4GB, please give me a way to expand it regularly.

What I really want is to expand the repository without using LTS, because I need the full repository to have the extra space rather than specifying a folder to share on LTS. 

I have been thinking to create a new repo and make it extending the previous repo history but I am not sure if such a solution exists.

or creating multiple Repos for the large subdirectories to make a tree-alike repositories distribution. but I think it is a silly solution as well.

May you enlighting me for a better way or run a git gc on my repo, please!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2021

Hi @Majed Bawarshi and welcome to the community.

I checked in our system the repositories your Bitbucket Cloud account has access to and I found one repo with a size close to the 4 GB limit. I ran a git gc on it and its size is now 302.9 MB.

Bitbucket Cloud repositories have a 4.0 GB limit, I'm afraid that we cannot increase this limit. The repository limit for free repositories is 2 GB; however, at this time, we are not enforcing this limitation. Note that both enforcement of the limit and the limit itself are subject to change in the future. See for reference:

I am not sure what you mean by LTS, are you perhaps referring to Git LFS?

If you version in your repository large or binary files, our recommendation would be to use Git LFS as this will also speed up the handling of large files. Git LFS was designed specifically for this reason:

You could also split the repository into two or more repos:

However, if you version large or binary files without using Git LFS in these repos, you may still see their size get increased fast and notice slow cloning/pulling times as well.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Majed Bawarshi October 11, 2021

Hello @Theodora Boudale 

Thank you very much for your support, You are a lifesaver!

May you please guide me about the steps I should follow next time I face the same issue?

regarding the LTS yes, you are right I meant Git LFS

Thank you again!

Best regards,

Like Theodora Boudale likes this
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2021

Hi Majed,

You are very welcome, I'm glad to have helped!

If you'd like Atlassian to run a git gc on your repo, you can create a new question in community to request this (there is an automated git gc running on every push, but it runs with different parameters than the git gc I triggered manually).

If the repo belongs to a workspace on a paid billing plan, you can also create a ticket with the support team via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/ to request a git gc. Otherwise, you can raise your request in community.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Like Majed Bawarshi likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events