Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environment variables from my project settings not properly working in my pipelines

kalib April 19, 2022

I am trying to use some environment variables in my bitbucket pipeline scripts and it looks like the variables are not being passed, for example:

- VERSION=${BITBUCKET_TAG:-${BITBUCKET_BRANCH//\//_}-latest}
- IMAGE_NAME="${NEXUS_DOCKER_PRIVATE_REGISTRY_URL}/baseline-service:${VERSION}"
- docker build . -t $IMAGE_NAME --pull --no-cache --label 'GIT_COMMIT_HASH=$BITBUCKET_COMMIT'

In that case, NEXUS_DOCKER_PRIVATE_REGISTRY_URL is my environment variable, but it's not being translated properly:

+ docker build . -t $IMAGE_NAME --pull --no-cache --label 'GIT_COMMIT_HASH=$BITBUCKET_COMMIT'
invalid argument "$NEXUS_DOCKER_PRIVATE_REGISTRY_URL/my-service:feature_pipeline-latest" for "-t, --tag" flag: invalid reference format

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2022

Hello @kalib ,

From the error message seems like the IMAGE_NAME variable was not populated correctly. Checking the syntax you have used in IMAGE_NAME, it seems to be correct, and testing on my repository it was correctly presenting the value.

Could you please confirm if the NEXUS_DOCKER_PRIVATE_REGISTRY_URL has not any typo when you created it in your repository settings/workspace settings ?

One thing you can also do for troubleshooting is to print the variables using echo after you have created them and see if the value is correct, like below :

- VERSION=${BITBUCKET_TAG:-${BITBUCKET_BRANCH//\//_}-latest}
- echo $VERSION - IMAGE_NAME="${NEXUS_DOCKER_PRIVATE_REGISTRY_URL}/baseline-service:${VERSION}"
- echo $IMAGE_NAME
- echo $NEXUS_DOCKER_PRIVATE_REGISTRY_URL

Would you please try the above and let us know the output ?

Thank you, @kalib .

Kind regards,

Patrik S

kalib April 20, 2022

Thanks, this method for validation worked for me as well. Thanks, it will make it way easier for troubleshooting.

Like Patrik S likes this
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2022

Hey @kalib ,

Awesome! It's indeed way easier to investigate when printing the variable value with echo. Do let us know in case you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Patrik S

Like kalib likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events