Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effort to set up Bitbucket

astronomicalguy July 9, 2017

Our new developer wants to set up a Git repository on Bitbucket at a cost of $750 (15 hour initial commit @ $50/hr). It seems that Bitbucket is free in the Cloud and $10 if serer based, so the outlay is for setup only. Does it take 15 hours (nearly two full days of work) to set up a repository? I know nothing about the process or what is involved, and I'm struggling with laying out three quarters of a grand simply to move our existing site into a configuration-managed tool. Please advise.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2017

That seems a little over the top.  As you say, Bitbucket Cloud is free (for up to 5 users) and the setup on Cloud is "sign up", there's nothing more to set up.  Although you do have to give it a few minutes for the server to become active.  Once it's running, creating an empty repository takes a handful of clicks.  Ignoring the "new server" pause, there's probably less than 10 minutes work to get to an empty repository read for use.

The 15 hour initial commit could well be valid - it depends on how large your code base is, where it is stored now, the full history of it and what you're importing.

astronomicalguy July 10, 2017

Thanks, Nic.

Our LAMP website is fairly complex with lots of folders and lots of files (multiple hundreds) and a database, all of which were recently transferred from the original developer's server to our GoDaddy VPS. The development site is up and running on the new VPS, but there's lots more work to be done before launching, and the new developer says that they can't work on the website without a Bitbucket / Git Repository, for which they want $750 to set it up. They seem to be suggesting that it will take two full days to transfer the existing files into a new repository. Perhaps it's legit, but I needed at least one alternate opinion before commiting to it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2017

That's the bit I can't judge, I simply don't know how big your code base is, how good the network connection from the source machine to the Bitbucket repos might be, and so-on.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events