Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download a file in a location of a bitbucket server project repo

terrytangyuan November 19, 2016

Hi, 

I want to download a single file from a repo that's on a Bitbucket server. Is there any example API that I can use? 

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Deleted user May 13, 2019

This might be slightly irrelevant, but for binary files, there is a workaround

1. in your browser, navigate to where the file is
  2. click on the file
  3. click on the option "view raw"
  4. you will be promoted to downloading the file

Most other files can also be downloaded similarly, you can use "open raw" option and save the promoted new tab, textual files will be saved in the format you want.

HAFIZ SYED SHAH HAMZA ALAM July 7, 2019

This technique won't be working for me :/

Jurgen Schober December 5, 2019

How do you do this from bash? Is there a rest endpoint for that?

BitBucket Archive plugin is outdated.

W_ AdT November 6, 2020

For any file:

1. in your browser, navigate to where the file is, YES
  2. click on the file, YES
  3. "..." then DO NOT CLICK on the option "view raw" (otherwise you will have a html file);
    Instead, you should RIGHT CLICK the "view raw" in that web menu, then "Save link as..." in browser context menu
  4. You got your real raw file
Like Stopfinder likes this
0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016

We use Bitbucket Server Archive Plugin to download single files during our automated build process.

Having this plugin installed on your Bitbucket server you can locally retrieve single files (or a selection of files or all files ...) from Bitbucket via a simple git archive ...

For mor details see: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1125476/retrieve-a-single-file-from-a-repository

0 votes
G__Sylvie_Davies__bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2016

Navigate to the file you want to download using Bitbucket Server's "Source" view (e.g., http://vm.bit-booster.com/bitbucket/projects/BB/repos/aui/browse).  Once you've identified the file you want to download, look for the "Raw File" link.

Example: http://vm.bit-booster.com/bitbucket/projects/BB/repos/aui/browse/CONTRIBUTING.md  (notice the "Raw File" link?).

These links go to my demo Bitbucket server instance.  They might require that you login.  If so, the username is "test" and the password is "test".

p.s.  I invite you to try my Bitbucket and JIRA add-ons.  Bit-Booster Commit Graph and More (for Bitbucket), and Git Graph for JIRA.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events