Does Bitbucket Pipelines support building .NET applications?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Bitbucket Pipelines (beta)

I'm wondering is pipelines support to build .net framework? I didn't see .yml config for .net. Please advise.

John Wu

8 answers

Hi John,

One of our customers provided an example of a Bitbucket Pipelines configuration for a .NET Core application. You can find it on Bitbucket.

We do not yet support running pipelines in Windows environment but we're keeping an eye on the work that Docker and Microsoft are doing together.

If you don't mind using mono, you can as well do:

image: mono

- step:
          - nuget restore
          - MONO_IOMAP=case xbuild /t:Build /p:Configuration="Release" /p:Platform="Any CPU" Solution.sln

I have tried with this script but I am not able to run the build. I am getting the error near nuget restore. command not found. Please help me

Any updates to this folks? MS has full docker support these days, when are we going to see that in pipelines?

1 vote
Werner I'm New Here Oct 25, 2017

Still no positive news on that?

Here are two blog posts about building .Net apps in Pipelines, using the docker image:

image: microsoft/dotnet

Thanks, @Sigge Birgisson. .NET Core is a bit too "shiny and new" to be adopted for our new client projects.

Do you know of any reference information that would help us understand the build and test running process for ASP.NET 4.x WebAPI solutions using NUnit 3?

@Dave Todaro Have you found any information on how to build ASP.NET 4.x solutions in Bitbucket Pipelines?

Are there any Docker images that have MSBuild on? I am having problems with Mono and my .NET solution (I don't use .NET core yet)

0 vote
Ian Buchanan Atlassian Team May 02, 2017

What build tools do people use for .NET these days? When I last coded C# a couple years back, MS Build was pervasive, like it or not. But we liked to use a layer over it like psake or fake. Are people using those or others?

I recently reviewed a whole lot of CI tools - I use BB Pipelines for the Node frontend and Visual Studio Team Services for the .NET part. I have to say it has improved a LOT since I last used it a few years ago. The scrum tools are massively improved too. BuddyBuild is a fantastic CI tool but uses Mono for .NET. So I would check out VSTS. When BB comes out of beta I am moving all my Node projects to VSTS

I have same issue... my app is Console App / Windows Sevrice - 

.net 4.5 app and I would like to get it building in PIPELINEs.. Any chance for using msbuild?

0 vote

Hello I would like to ask the same question. Will there be in near future any solution to this? We need to build applications with .net 4.7.1 in pipelines and due to missing TPT inheritance in Entity Framework core we cannot use .netCore images. Thank You for reply

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

1,286 views 1 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot