Does BitBucket CI/CD Provide a Step Templating System

Jason Schafer September 22, 2020

I'm going to apologize in advance if someone's Google skills turn out to be better than mine (I swear I googled/searched for a couple hours before asking this)

My question is, does BitBucket CI/CD provide a sort of templating system for repeated steps? 

In Gitlab CI/CD as an example you can have templates stored in a separate git repository, and then reference those templated steps, and just change pipeline variables as needed, this would be useful for steps like docker builds and things of that nature where we find ourselves repeating the same step boilerplate over and over.

Just for reference if this helps explain:
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/development/cicd/templates.html

If referencing competing software is against the TOS, I again apologize in advance, I just think it helps explain what I'm trying to achieve. 

I realize that Bitbucket provides "example templates" when setting up new pipelines, but that's not the same kind of templating I'm asking about here. This is more that you can reference an externally defined template containing steps in a separate repository. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2020

@Jason Schafer Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You are not alone who have spent time on Google looking for this, I don't think this feature is available yet (in form similar to Github or Gitlab).

But Bitbucket Pipes is something that I created to solve this problem. Here is brief introduction to it,

I could have shared script with you, but it is with my old employer (and can't share publicly). I hope this help.

Jason Schafer September 22, 2020

Right, while this isn't exactly the same thing, this does at least encapsulate repeatable steps in a way that they can be referenced instead of being written multiple times.

Thank you! I'll go ahead and accept this answer as this is a solution to my issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events