Disable Email Notification for Pull Request in user profile ?

Is it possible to disable receiving E-Mail notifications on Bitbucket Server in a user profile ?

At the moment some developers prefer to see the pull requests in the system and detest the daily mail flood that is coming from Bitbucket. The only options in the profile are receiving E-mails immediately or batched (default - every 30 minutes).

There is also no configuration option for pull request emails on administrator or repository level that I found useful. The only option would be to disable the E-Mail system completely which would affect all teams.

(currently running Bitbucket Server 4.11.2)

2 answers

0 vote

Hi Michael!

Disabling email notifications for specific users is not possible. If your developers don't want to receive as many emails, they can "unwatch" the pull request to stop receiving email notifications, this is explained at Pull request now with reviewers and smarter notifications. However, note that they'll still receive them if they have been added as reviewers. 

If you’d like this behavior to be different, you can submit a Feature request at jira.atlassian.com so other users can vote for it if they also like it :)

Cheers,

Ana

I desperately need to just shut off these dang pull request notifications!

It's already part of my normal daily workflow to scan the website for any of my unapproved pull requests so I do not need to receive an email on top!

At my company we include the architects on all pull requests so that they can have a chance to review the code before it is merged into master...It seemed like a good idea at the time but as a result of being included on almost every pull request I'm getting a steady stream of pull request notifications all throughout the day.

It's not just one email for one pull request either...I get a notification email whenever a pull request is first created and I get another notification email for each push against any open pull request.

Now for the sad reality of what I get to deal with...In the past 12 months alone I've had to read, review and subsequently delete over 10,000 emails that have flooded my inbox.  I'm not exaggerating this number...It has been over 10,000 emails!

I've even tried to set up an inbox email rule to help manage this tsunami of email notifications but that's been tricky because sometimes email conversations between others will result from one of these notification emails which can cause a false positive on my inbox email rule.

...we need to stop this thing at the source!

speaks to me from the heart.

I would love to only receive spam when someone explicitely mentions me with @myusername

Right now reading those mails is worthless.

I was surprised that individual users can't turn off email notifications and it is causing a lot of friction here as we have to tell users they need to use email filtering if they don't want to see the emails. As @John Renstrom pointed out, there can sometimes be a lot of emails which can cause issues with users inboxes. Simply the ability for users to turn off email notifications all together would be a big step forward but more granualr notifications would also be very useful.

+1

Notifications are really unnecessary... We have a slack channel that has all relevant notifications.

There is no need for this massive form of e-mailing!

For now the only way to solve it was to declare bitbucket as SPAM, meaning I also don't receive the E-mails you want to send to me, to inform me about updates etc. 

Pretty sad there is no better solution to this. 

Granularity is  very much needed, so that an admin can choose what notifications will be active for a given Bitbucket project.

+1

+1 

These emails are really not necessary and annoying. and un-watching every pull request is not realsitic.

+1

Is there any JIRA suggestion to vote for that issue?

Wow.  You CAN'T TURN THIS OFF!?  Are you kidding me!?

Yes this feature is much needed. We currently have a slack channel for each of our repositories with Bitbucket Bot reporting all the necessary information (ie. PR's, updates, etc..). I've unwatched all my repo's but still get bunch of emails.

I removed the email server settings in the admin page. That should fix it.

Can we get an official response to this?  I too am getting flooded daily.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

23,297 views 26 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you