Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted large jar files to reduce repository size

naresh aalthi April 8, 2020

Hi team,

I have used the below set of commands to remove the .jar files to reduce the size, all the steps went fine. Even then repo still showing "remote: WARNING Repository size in Bitbucket is currently 1.5 GB"

1. java -jar bfg.jar --strip-blobs-bigger-than 10M <repo-name>

Report is good. Has all the jars more than 10 MB for delete

2. git reflog expire --expire=now --all && git gc --prune=now --aggressive

3. git push

After steps i see the size of the repo reduced to 400 MB or so but the cloud URL still showing aroung 1.49GB Size

Here is the output of git count-objects -Hv

count: 0
size: 0 bytes
in-pack: 9763
packs: 1
size-pack: 10.60 MiB
prune-packable: 0
garbage: 0
size-garbage: 0 bytes

Could you please let us know what is missing here 

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
naresh aalthi April 9, 2020

Hi Daniil,

Thanks for the quick update. The repo is VirginVoyages/bigdata-real-time

After removing jar files, we now see the size of the project went down to 10MB , can you confirm that size?

I have raised support ticket to run the GC from the server side. 

Thanks,

Naresh.A

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2020

Yes, that was one of the repositories I triggered GC for, and it reduced down to 8.6 Mb.

This is exactly what our Support team would do on your request, so you can close your case now.

Cheers,
Daniil

naresh aalthi April 9, 2020

Yes I see repo came down to 8.6 Mb. Thanks 

You can close the case

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2020

Hello @naresh aalthi ,

Welcome to the Community!

Bitbucket may take some time to reflect a change to your repository size because some objects are not removed immediately. Git has a concept of garbage collection.

Garbage collection is triggered when you push commits to your repository, however it doesn't happen on every push because GC is potentially quite expensive operation, especially when the repository becomes large. Our Git configuration has some heuristics around when and what kind of GC to trigger (it has several levels of "aggressiveness").

That's why our documentation on reducing repository size suggests to reach out to our Support team in case you can't make changes to your repository anymore due to hitting the limit. In other cases Bitbucket will eventually trigger GC and collect all dangling objects in your repository, if you keep working on the repository.

You didn't mention which repository you removed jars from, so I tried to guess one and kicked off GC for it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events