Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default reviewers in BitBucket Cloud not working at all?

Jacek Furmankiewicz April 11, 2018

We've defined a set of default reviewers in our BitBucket Cloud repository.

However, it seems to have zero effect. Any time we create a PR from a fork, the list of reviewers is always empty and the list of default reviewers does not seem to get applied at all.

is this a bug or is there something else that needs to be set up?

1 answer

0 votes
jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2018

Forks may start out with the same repository content as their upstream, but they don't automatically inherit permissions, default reviewers, merge checks, or other configuration details. (The general idea is that, if I fork a repo, then I get to decide how all the things work.) You'll need to populate the default reviewers (etc.) for each fork, either through the API or by hand.

(Branches are not subject to this, as they're still a part of the original repo.)

Jacek Furmankiewicz April 12, 2018

That is unexpeced...BitBucket on-prem does this *properly* (i.e. as expected).

This is clearly a bug in how BitBucket Cloud handles it vs. the on-prem server version.

Is there an ETA to fix this?

This makes it very hard to ensure quality and proper code reviews, especially if dealing with remote teams.

Russell Harrison July 6, 2018

I also find this confusing and frustrating. The pull request is being created in the repository being merged into and not the fork. Why wouldn't default reviewers have an effect?

Adding to the issue I can't add default reviewers to my private fork unless I give access to the fork to all of the reviewers who already have access to the main repository. Effectively each user can only add themselves as a reviewer which is rather silly.

I can however add the users manually every time I create the pull request but the entire point of having default reviewers in the first place is to remove the need for doing this.

Bitwise DEVS January 15, 2022

Did you find any solution on this? Its 2022 and I think default reviewer still not working. Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events