Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom pipeline still throws an error about no manual steps in first step of pipeline.

Firdaus Aga December 21, 2021

I have a strange issue with my pipeline script.
I've configured a number of custom pipelines, however when I try to run some of them I get an error about "First step in pipeline cannot be manual"

Please advise.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2021

Hi @Firdaus Aga,

Based on the error message, it sounds like the first step of these custom pipelines may have trigger: manual in their definition in the yml file.

Could you please double-check and confirm if this is the case? If so, you will need to remove this from the first step in order for the pipeline to run. Is there a reason why you need the first step of a custom pipeline as manual or is it accidental? (Custom pipelines will run when you trigger them, and not automatically on every push)

If you feel comfortable sharing your yml file here, I can also double-check the reason for the error (you can remove the commands of the scripts and any names prior to sharing, just the structure of the yml file with the keywords used should be enough).

Kind regards,
Theodora

Firdaus Aga December 22, 2021

Hi Theodora,

That's absolutely right, I actually have single step pipelines which ssh an Ansible server to run builds.

Since we're in a production environment we need to trigger these manually.

I wasn't aware of this point -
Is there a reason why you need the first step of a custom pipeline as manual or is it accidental? (Custom pipelines will run when you trigger them, and not automatically on every push).

Just to be clear however does this mean that I need not put trigger: manual for any steps in the custom pipelines?

Firdaus Aga December 23, 2021

@Theodora Boudale I removed trigger: manual from the pipeline and it worked.

Thanks for the clarification!!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events