Custom pipeline description

Lilian February 22, 2022

Hello,

I am trying to document a few custom and complex pipelines and their variables, so developers have a better idea of what the pipeline does before manually triggering it. Ideally this description of the pipeline behaviour would displayed in the logs as well as in the manual pipeline modal window.

I cannot find a way to do that, or even something remotely similar. Does it exist?

For example, I would have expected a description field in bitbucket-pipelines.yml for pipelines and variables.

pipelines:
custom:
complex_pipeline:
- description: "This complex pipeline will do some complex stuff like interracting with 3rd parties api, build multiple repositories, it is very complex."
- variables:
- name: option_with_meaningful_name
- description: "If set to false, this pipeline will behave differently."
default: true
allowed-values: [true,false]
- step:
script:
- /home/complexPipelineScript.sh ${option_with_meaningful_name}

1 answer

0 votes
Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2022

Hi @Lilian 

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Community, I'm Norbert from Bitbucket Cloud Support, it's nice to meet with you! Welcome to the Atlassian Community

What I would like to suggest you is to put # + text part, where you would like to put description/comment. For example

pipelines:
custom:
complex_pipeline:
# This complex pipeline will do some complex stuff like interracting with 3rd parties api, build multiple repositories, it is very complex.
- variables:
- name: option_with_meaningful_name
# If set to false, this pipeline will behave differently."
default: true
allowed-values: [true,false]
- step:
script:
- /home/complexPipelineScript.sh ${option_with_meaningful_name}

In case you put the # sign in the line, Pipelines ignore everything, what you put after the # sign.

Please let us know if this is what you're looking for.

Best Regards,
Norbert
Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support

Lilian February 25, 2022

Hello @Norbert C ,

Thanks for the answer. I'm aware we can document the pipeline this way.

The Run pipeline modal window offer very little information on what the pipeline I am about to run actually does.  I was looking for a way to make that documentation visible to the pipeline users.

For example having a description for the pipeline and its variables would make it much friendlier. 

For example:

pipeline description.png

Should I open a feature request?

Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2022

Hi @Lilian 

Thank you for your explanation. I would like to inform you that this functionality is unfortunately not available, thus opening a feature request would be a great step to inform our team for the need of this feature.

Best Regards,
Norbert

Lilian March 13, 2022

Hello Norbert,

Sorry to bother, i could not find how to open a feature request. Could you guide me or provide a link?
Thank you very much.

Lilian

Norbert C
Atlassian Team
March 13, 2022

Good Morning Lilian,

Please open the following link: https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/BCLOUD/issues

Once you're in here, click on the "Create" button. 

Please let me know if it's successful.

Best Regards,
Norbert

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events