Recognition

• Give kudos
  • My kudos

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Current Atlassian position regarding refs/pull-requests/*/from (merge) refs

Freddy I'm New Here May 12, 2020

Hello!

I would like to follow-up on this thread response:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Difference-of-refs-pull-requests-lt-ID-gt-merge-and-refs-pull/qaq-p/772142

Long story short, I wanted to confirm if:
a) are "from" refs considered to be internal as well as "merge"? I`m asking because this guide: https://www.atlassian.com/git/articles/pull-request-proficiency-fetching-abilities-unlocked explicitly mentions usage of refspec on */from ref. Is it safe to use it?
b) has anything changed regarding the */merge refs, by chance (in terms of being officially supported/internal)?
c) as of now, we do have an implementation which is dependant on */from refs. Do you have any plans for implementing the same refs for the Bitbucket Cloud?

Looking forward to hear from you on this topic - please let me know if you`d like any details on the questions above.

2 answers

0 votes
Bryan Turner Atlassian Team May 13, 2020

@Freddy

a) Pull request refs have always been, and still are, considered an internal implementation detail. We document how to use them, but the primary purpose for that is for developers to be able to fetch changes and play around with them locally in an editor or other environment. Pull request refs are not updated in a deterministic fashion, which makes relying on them for builds, for example, dangerous. (This is exacerbated in 7.x; see BSERV-12284 for more details.)

b) 7.x no longer creates "merge" refs, as part of switching from 3-way diffs in pull requests to 2-way diffs, so anything built against them will not be possible on 7.0 or newer. We currently have no plans to ever bring "merge" refs back.

c) The Bitbucket Server team has no direct connection with Bitbucket Cloud. The two systems don't share a single line of code (they're not even written in the same language). BCLOUD-5814 is an open issue about adding pull request refs to Cloud, in case it's useful to you for advocating for the feature or tracking its delivery.

Hope this helps!
Bryan Turner
Atlassian Bitbucket

0 votes
Jgafner I'm New Here Oct 15, 2020

@Bryan Turner  hi , Is it correct to say that the from branch is created only when user switch to the diff tab in a pull request and not when the pull request is created ? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Powering DevOps with Bitbucket Server & Data Center

Hi everyone, The Cloud team recently announced 12 new DevOps features that help developers ship better code, faster   ! While we’re all excited about the new improvements to Bitbucket ...

1,914 views 0 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you