Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crucible / BitBucket issue: fatal: ssh variant 'simple' does not support setting port

Mike Flynn August 6, 2018

image.png

Crucible Version:

VersionFishEye 4.5.3 20180321104931 
Crucible 4.5.3 20180321104931

BitBucket Version:

Atlassian Bitbucket v5.11.1

SSH Version:

# ssh -V
OpenSSH_6.6.1p1, OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013

Git Version: 

# git --version
git version 2.17.1

My crucible install can access the list of repositories in my BitBucket install, but it errors on importing the files, making it so that we cannot open code reviews for anything in our BitBucket.

Is there an easy solution to this issue?

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I found more error information:

Error testing connection.
Error talking to repository: 

fatal: ssh variant 'simple' does not support setting port

at com.atlassian.fisheye.git.GitScmConfig.testConnection(GitScmConfig.java:120)
at com.cenqua.fisheye.RepositoryConfig.testConnection(RepositoryConfig.java:390)
at com.atlassian.fisheye.spi.admin.impl.DefaultRepositoryAdminService.testConnectionFor(DefaultRepositoryAdminService.java:964)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

Connection failed.
Dick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2018

Hi Mike,

Thanks for providing these details. I had another look, and it looks like you're running into this bug: FE-7016 (Fisheye stops repository indexing with Git 2.16.0 and higher).

This is caused by a bug in Git 2.16.0+ (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/git/issues/detail?id=7).

As suggested in the FE-7016 bug, please try one of the workarounds:

• downgrade Git to version older than 2.16.0 or
  • upgrade OpenSSL to version 6.8 or newer

I hope this resolves your issue.

Cheers!

Mike Flynn August 8, 2018

Thank you!  Updating OpenSSH solved my problem!

Dick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2018

No worries, Mike! Happy to help.

0 votes
Dick
Atlassian Team
August 6, 2018

Hi Mike,

I did a quick Google search on this error message, and I found:

The internal behavior of Git (>=2.16.0) for SSH tool detection changed and TortoiseGitPlink is not detected any more as ssh or plink compatible.

This only affects if the SSH URL contains a port. For now, you need to set the environment variable GIT_SSH_VARIANT to ssh, in the next version of TortoiseGit 2.5.7 this will be done automatically.

See https://tortoisegit.org/issue/3139

This comment sums it up:

run in git bash git config --global ssh.variant ssh

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48417505/fatal-ssh-variant-simple-does-not-support-setting-port

I hope this helps!

I tried this and it still didn't work.

Dick
Atlassian Team
August 6, 2018

Hi Mike,

I think it's best to raise a ticket with our Support team at support.atlassian.com. Please be sure to link them to this Community thread.

I hope your issue gets resolved soon.

Cheers!

Mike Flynn August 7, 2018

Unfortunately, we're a small team and only need the 5 licences provided by the starter licence, and therefore do not have access to the support system.

Dominik Kaspar May 14, 2021

This *does* work. You have to make sure that you execute the git config command as the FeCru system user which executes the git commands that fail.

0 votes

should mention that I have already re-created the application links. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events