Creating a commit through API ignore query params

Samuele Salvatico December 15, 2022

Hi!
I'm trying to create a commit using this API: Create a commit uploading file API 
I need to create the commit on a specific branch because push on master is locked.

This is my request

POST /2.0/repositories/myworksp/myrepo/src?branch=chore%2Fupdate-file&message=Updated+file.yml&files=file.yml HTTP/1.1
Accept: application/json, text/plain, */*
Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=--------------------------487458948671530879406796
Authorization: Bearer theT0k3n
User-Agent: axios/1.2.1
Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress, deflate, br
Host: api.bitbucket.org
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

As described in docs, I set `branch` query param to set branch, but the error "Push is locked on master branch" is always returned.

Do I need to set the branch name in a different way?

P.S. If I make the request in a non-restricted repo the commit is correctly created on master branch of that repo

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2022

Hi @Samuele Salvatico and welcome to the community!

If you want to create a commit that adds or updates a file, you can use a call like the following:

curl -X POST -u username:app-password https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/workspace-id/repo-slug/src -F myFile.json=@myFile.json -F branch=test-branch -F message="my commit message"

If you want to create a commit that deletes a file you can use the files parameter as follows:

curl -X POST -u username:app-password https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/workspace-id/repo-slug/src -F files=myFile.json -F branch=test-branch -F message="my commit message"

Kind regards,
Theodora

Jonathan Li April 5, 2023

Any idea why CURL works but not Python's requests? The file gets uploaded but the params are ignored (commits to master branch and doesn't use the right commit message)

Python Code:

response = requests.post(
            headers={
                "Authorization": f"Bearer {token['access_token']}"
            },
            files = {
                'README.md' : ('README.md', f),
                'message': "my commit message",
                'branch': 'defect/referencechanges'
            }
        )
CURL:
curl -H "Authorization:Bearer xxxxxx" -X POST https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/xxxxxx/xxxxxxx/src -F README.md=@README.md -F branch=defect/referencechanges -F message="my commit message"
Jonathan Li April 5, 2023

Nvm, figured it out.

response = requests.post(
            headers={
                "Authorization": f"Bearer {token['access_token']}"
            },
            files = {
                'README.md' : ('README.md', f),
                'message': ('', "README.md edited via API for testing"),
                'branch': ('', branch)
            },
        )