Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not update one or more files

Myron
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 27, 2017

I'm trying to resolve merge conflicts 'using theirs' but it keeps returning the error:

"Could not update one or more files, please check that no other application is locking your files."

Eventhough all other programs are closed and not using the files it returns this error.

I can try and resolve them one by one but this will take forever because there are more then 70 merge conflict items.

I'm using the latest sourcetree version 2.1.2.5.
Running Windows 10 Home

Any help would be appreciated.

6 answers

9 votes
Simon Stevenson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 13, 2018

For me it seems like this happened with the "theirs" change being a delete, so "resolving using theirs" should delete the file. I worked around it by marking the files as resolved then deleting them manually.

Luca Trapasso
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 5, 2018

Also in my case was because of a deleted file. Your comment was helpful, thanks!

1 vote
Jim
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 21, 2017

Using SourceTree 2.1.11.0 / Windows 7

Same root problem here, restarted machine checked status of files (they were not locked by another process or marked as read only) 

The only way I was able to resolve is to use TortoiseGet and resolve "Using mine' 

Of course SourceTree lost the mergeconflix message that was previously  nicely populated in my window.  Overall I'm very disappointed in SourceTree, very slow performance, locks regularly, and provides unfortunate situations like this on a monthly basis.  These tools should be rock and not require me to look for other solutions/workarounds for core functionality. 

0 votes
Manoj Kumar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 8, 2023

Before trying to resolve merge conflicts 'using theirs' or 'using mine', execute this comment in git bash.

rm -f .git/index.lock

After that we can able to resolve conflicts in stash

0 votes
Tommo October 20, 2021

And this bug is still relevant in October 2021. Sourcetree still claims a file is locked when we try to merge resolution "theirs" for a deleted file.
No, Atlassian programmers! The folder was deleted, the file is not locked! That's why you were able to resolve the other 5 deleted files in the same folder as deleted.

0 votes
MarkAtQ5X
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 13, 2017

Same issue using 2.3.1.0 on Windows 7.

Perhaps this will help find the problem...

On all the files that I tried to "Resolve using theirs", I tried using "Resolve using mine" and I did not get the error.

0 votes
otabekbt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 3, 2017

same issue can't do anything

MarkAtQ5X
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 13, 2017

Otabek, did you find a solution or workaround?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events