Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert existing bitbucket repo to fork

kevinmoll14 August 20, 2020

I have two repositories hosted on bitbucket server where one of them should have been created as a fork of the other, rather than an independent repository (i.e., they share common branches/commits as can be seen in git when the working directory contains the two corresponding remotes).  Unfortunately, when I push changes to the "downstream" repository, I can't create pull requests into the "upstream" repository because it wasn't created as a fork (the upstream repo doesn't appear in the drop down box of destination repositories).  Is it possible to assign the "downstream" as a fork of the "upstream" after it's been created?  I know I can erase the "downstream" and create a new one as a fork (repopulating the git data by cloning the original downstream before erasing it), but my understanding is that would lose all the existing bitbucket meta data like pull requests. 

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2020

The short answer is no, you cannot convert a repository to be a fork instead.

And your understanding is correct, if you remove the repository you will loose any Bitbucket data associated with it.

kevinmoll14 August 20, 2020

Thanks Mikael for confirming my suspicions.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events