Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Convert existing bitbucket repo to fork

I have two repositories hosted on bitbucket server where one of them should have been created as a fork of the other, rather than an independent repository (i.e., they share common branches/commits as can be seen in git when the working directory contains the two corresponding remotes).  Unfortunately, when I push changes to the "downstream" repository, I can't create pull requests into the "upstream" repository because it wasn't created as a fork (the upstream repo doesn't appear in the drop down box of destination repositories).  Is it possible to assign the "downstream" as a fork of the "upstream" after it's been created?  I know I can erase the "downstream" and create a new one as a fork (repopulating the git data by cloning the original downstream before erasing it), but my understanding is that would lose all the existing bitbucket meta data like pull requests. 

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Aug 20, 2020

The short answer is no, you cannot convert a repository to be a fork instead.

And your understanding is correct, if you remove the repository you will loose any Bitbucket data associated with it.

Thanks Mikael for confirming my suspicions.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

New improvements to user management in Bitbucket Cloud 👥

Hey Community! We’re willing to wager that quite a few of you not only use Bitbucket, but administer it too. Our team is excited to share that we’ll be releasing improvements throughout this month of...

3,726 views 10 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you