Content search in Stash?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2014

Hi,

Currently Stash only supports search based on filenames, but to search based on content there is a plugin available which is pretty expensive, is there a free add-on which is available, if not has anyone else tried to get their way around this issue?

Thanks,

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2014

HI Tarun,

While I know this isn't going to be helpful for you now, you should definitely vote and watch the following feature request.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-2851

It's definitely something we will tackle at some stage (although I couldn't say when).

Charles

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2014

hi Charles,

To be a honest, I am a bit dissapointed with the fact that Stash lacks such a basic and important feature and even in the Ticket url that you have shared it's priority is Minor, it's something which is very important for the succes of Stash.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2014

Hi Tarun,

I wouldn't read too much into the priority. We also think it's very important too and it's on our roadmap, along with quite a few other important features (too much to do and not enough time). We will get there...

Charles

2 votes
Mohammed Davoodi
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2016

Our company has produced an addon to add this functionality to Stash (Bitbucket).

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.mohamicorp.stash.search-for-stash/server/overview

Upasna Bassi June 7, 2018

We tried the plugin but it looks like the bitbucket v5.9.0 is not supported.

Mohammed Davoodi
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

Hi @Upasna Bassi,

Bitbucket 5.90 is supported. If you were having issues, feel free to make a support request at https://mohamicorp.atlassian.net/servicedesk/

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2014

If you can't find the add on, it most probably does not exist.

0 votes
Mariano Latorre November 14, 2016

The code below is quite convenient, it searches across all stashes files containing "plist" and non-case sensitive "basic" in the filename. any change made to a file passing that is concatenated into test.txt then opened.

for sha in $(git rev-list -g stash); do git ls-tree -r $sha:; done | grep plist | grep basic -i | cut -f 1 | cut -d" " -f 3 | sort | uniq | xargs git show > test.txt; open test.txt

0 votes
jcurleyWR
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2014

As an administrator, I do not want people using server resources to search the entire repository via plugin. There's enough demand for memory and CPU as it is. My suggestion is to clone the repo and search that all you want.

However, maybe you want something that searches the objects stored in the physical repo and then convert those object hash code (my apologies, I don't remember the git terminology) into actual file names/paths? However, you still can't do anything with the results, except test for existence.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2014

" I do not want people using server resources to search the entire repository via plugin"

solution to this is something whic Atlassian isn't interested in implementing as of yet

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-22095

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events