Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Android Studio to BitBucket on iMac

Shimon Rothschild March 2, 2022

My access connection was transparent, now broken. I don't understand how to reset Android Studio so that I can access my Bitbucket account. Can someone explain step-by-step (screenshots is better!, how about video?) how to reset (set up) authentication and authorization from Android Studio (on Mac). What do I need to remove and where do I need to enter credentials. Apologies, Bitbucket is merely a tool, a tutorial for 'simple programmers' should be available for this significant change in DevOps.  Thank you. 

This is specific to the change outlined in: Announcement: Bitbucket Cloud account password usage for Git over HTTPS and API ending March 1, 2022. ...beginning March 1, 2022, Bitbucket Cloud users will no longer be able to use their account passwords when using Basic authentication for Git over HTTPS and the Bitbucket Cloud REST API.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shimon Rothschild March 17, 2022

I contacted Android Studio team and they responded. Bug level:

P3:issue that should be addressed when able

For the interim I am using Sourcetree. Issue closed.

Igor Ganapolsky August 9, 2022

It still is an issue in Android Studio Canary 8.  Can't authenticate to BitBucket...

0 votes
Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2022

Hi Shimon,

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Community, my name is Norbert and I'm a Bitbucket Cloud Support Engineer, it's nice to meet with you! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Unfortunately I don't have Android Studio installed, but when I read the documentation of this app, what I can see is that you can change the password by going to:

Setting --> Version Control

Please let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,
Norbert
Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support

Thomas Henry March 11, 2022

This doesn't help at all
You've made a big change in authentification without providing ANY explanation on how to do it, and now we cannot work

Like # people like this
Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2022

Hi Thomas,

Can you let me know what tool do you use to connect with Bitbucket Cloud? I'm going to search on the internet to find out, how you can change the authentication on that specific app.

Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Norbert

Like Shimon Rothschild likes this
Thomas Henry March 14, 2022

I use Android Studio, but i finally made it work by revoking the app password and making a new one

Norbert C
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2022

Thanks @Thomas Henry for your update, I'm glad to hear it works.

Shimon Rothschild March 15, 2022

I did not get it working directly from Android Studio, but I did get it working using Sourcetree. I would share the steps, but my docs are missing steps (an indication of hacking and frustration!)

I still wish for step-by-step integrating with Android Studio on Mac.  Thank you. 

Norbert C
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2022

Hi @Shimon Rothschild 

I think it's best to contact Android Studio support for a step-by-step guide, in case you're using a plugin to connect Android Studio to Bitbucket, you might need to reach out to the developers of that plugin.

Since Android Studio or its plugins are not developed by Atlassian and we're not familiar with this app or its plugins

Best Regards,
Norbert

Like Shimon Rothschild likes this
cristiancarmona15 March 23, 2022

I can login with my bitbucket account after create app-password 

0 votes
Shimon Rothschild March 10, 2022

Did not work, but is a step:

Keychain access left side nav menu, select login, search for and delete key:

IntelliJ Platform Git HTTP — http://username@bitbucket.org

Still unexpected end of file.

Christopher Smit April 24, 2022

Hi Shimon,

Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but I managed to connect it to Android Studio by doing the following:

1. Click Git -> Manage Remotes

2. Click on your remote and then edit

3. Next to your username add a colon (:) and then your app password.

4. Save

It now pushes to the remote repository. So although this works, I am a little uneasy with the fact that the password sits as clear text in my remote url.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events