Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Bitbucket Server (Stash), Bitbucket and SourceTree

Shelli January 20, 2016

I am trying to understand what these Atlassian products are and how they relate to each other.  I know there used to be a product call "Stash" that was renamed "Bitbucket Server".  Howevever, there used to be a product called "Bitbucket" which was separate from "Stash". 

When "Stash" was renamed to "Bitbucket Server", what happened to "Bitbucket"?  Were the two products merged? 

How does "SourceTree" fit in?  Is it a completely separate product?  Why is there a link for it on the Bitbucket main page (https://www.atlassian.com/software/bitbucket)?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2016

Original Bitbucket is now Bitbucket Cloud. So, you have "Bitbucket Server" - Git behind firewall - and "Bitbucket Cloud" - Git/Mercurial on Cloud. You can pick one of the two depending on your requirements.

Sourcetree is a git client app that can be used with both. You can also use the native git commands or other git client apps (like your favorite IDE plugin) instead of Sourcetree if you prefer that.

Shelli January 20, 2016

Thanks!

It would be nice if the Atlassian Bitbucket page was more clear about the different products.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2016

You can also use SourceTree with any other Git host, not just the Bitbucket ones.

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2016
Chris Giddings February 5, 2016

I'm thinking they will eventually cross-pollinate features and integrations between the two over time leading to a more reliable experience, and Bitbucket is the name they felt was a better branding fit overall, and more memorable than "Stash."

The two products (Stash & Bitbucket) are notably different, with different integrations and features, but I think they will rectify that over time for brand experience purposes.

Just my guess.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events