Compare functionality not working properly between branches

Jewel Francis May 22, 2016

Hi Team,

I am trying to compare two different branches (a release branch to develop branch) in Atlassian Stash (version - 3.11.1). In the 'Diff' - I am able to see that the comparison is happening between the latest commit of the release branch and penultimate commit of the develop branch. Any idea why this is happening.

Warm Regards,

-Jewel

2 answers

2 votes
Gart Nilis June 22, 2018

I realize this thread is old but here we are 2 years later and this still does not work, or it is broken again.  It's a dealbreaker for me.  I will have to use github now.

David Lang September 29, 2022

When comparing two different branches or tags in a given repository, I've found that specifying the more recent branch/tag as the destination (and the older branch/tag as the source) consistently yields no diffs, commits, or pull requests, despite the numerous differences between the two.  However, specifying the more recent branch/tag as the source and the older one as the destination produces the desired results.  Not sure why this is.

0 votes
Adam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2016

Hi Jewel,

I'm not sure, but I suspect one of two things:

1. Someone force pushed the develop branch back by a commit. So the actual latest commit is now the penultimate one.

2. The last commit happened after you loaded the develop branch on the compare page. The commit gets cached in the browser until you refresh the page.

Hope that helps,

Adam

Jewel Francis May 23, 2016

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the input. I have done a detailed check. But these two does not seem to be the case. In the first option, I have checked in the commit history, and the last commit is correct only.

Also, could you please confirm if I am doing the right steps.

Went to Stash --> <repository> --> Compare --> Select Source and Destination (chosen Develop and release respectively) and clicked on Diff.

This should compare the latest commit between these branches, right?

Regards,

-Jewel

Adam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2016

Yeah that sounds right. How do you know that it's checking against the penultimate commit? What is that conclusion based on?

Is there some specific content in that last commit that you are expecting to see, but don't? Does the information for latest commit in the form show a different hash than you'd  expect?

Is it also possible that your browser is caching one of the network requests? Can you reproduce this in multiple browsers?

If you look at the network requests that occur when you go through those steps you mentioned. It would be interesting to see what comes back. There are a few requests that might be returning the wrong value.

It may be worth opening a support ticket so we can debug further using your server logs too. As it is. I'm a bit stumped, sorry.

Jewel Francis May 23, 2016

"Is there some specific content in that last commit that you are expecting to see, but don't?" - Yes,. This is correct only,.. We have made some changes in the latest commit and it is not showing in the Diff screen. In fact, the Diff screen is showing the content that is saved in the penultimate commit.

May be we can try the different browser a go. But the issue here is, multiple users are facing the same problem.

Adam
Atlassian Team
May 23, 2016

Sounds like a back end issue then. Pretty odd! I'd definitely recommend opening a support ticket. It's possible something will come out of the logs. Alternatively we might be able to run some git commands to make sure the repo isn't somehow corrupted. A part of me is still expecting this is some kind of misunderstanding too, so it might help to share screenshots of what you are seeing, and git cli output of what you are expecting to see, just to make absolutely sure we have the same understanding of the problem.

Best of luck!

Adam

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events