cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commit history from root repo is not saved in forked repo

Dmitriy Rovenskiy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 20, 2023

Hi, I work with two projects, first of them is root project (original) and second project is forked from the first. I always need to do synchronization between root and forked repositories. All worked fine, but last times I stacked with problem, when I do synchronization, using command git pull <original_repo_URL> in forked repository, resolve all conflicts, push changes and merge pull-request, commits history from root repository is not saved in forked repository anymore. Each time, when I do synchronization, I resolve same conflicts in same files, please help, what I do wrong?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2023

Hi @Dmitriy Rovenskiy and welcome to the community!

I would like to ask a few questions to better understand what is happening:

1) After you resolve the conflicts and prior to pushing, are you committing these changes?

2) Are you pushing the changes to the forked repo?

3) What do you see actually see in the commits of the forked repo after you push? Are there no new commits at all?

4) You also mention merging a pull request, but I am not sure how a pull request is relevant to what you are doing. What is the source and destination repo and branch of this pull request?

5) Can you navigate to the clone of the forked repo where you followed this process, run git config --list and post the output here? Please make sure to sanitize any emails and the repo url in the output, I would just like to see any Git configuration for pull.

6) What is the version of Git on the machine where you are following this process? You can find out by running git --version on terminal.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Dmitriy Rovenskiy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 22, 2023

Hi @Theodora Boudale, thank you for your answer! I found solution for my problem. When I did synchronization, I deleted incoming changes from root project, because they are not needed in forked project. In forked project I need only commits history, it sounds a little bit strange, I know) And after deleting this changes, commits history was not saved in forked project. Solution is accept all changes in forked project from root project, merge these changes with master brunch and after that I need revert this changes) Full commits history from root project in forked project now)

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2023

Hi @Dmitriy Rovenskiy,

Thank you for the update! It's good to hear that you figured this out!

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events