Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command "rabbitmq-plugins enable rabbitmq_management" fails with "Error: noproc"

john_mccabe August 19, 2019

Hello Atlassian Community!

My team has a continuous integration pipeline that includes some RabbitMQ tests.
Our bitbucket-pipelines.yml file looks like this:

image: python:3.6.8
pipelines:
default:
- step:
name: Run Tests
caches:
- pip
script:
- pip install -r requirements.txt
- apt-get update
- apt-get install -y rabbitmq-server
- rabbitmq-server -detached
- sleep 2
- rabbitmq-plugins enable rabbitmq_management
- sleep 2
- rabbitmqctl stop
- sleep 2
- rabbitmq-server -detached
- python tests.py

Around 50% of the time we get the following error:

+ rabbitmq-plugins enable rabbitmq_management
The following plugins have been enabled:
mochiweb
webmachine
rabbitmq_web_dispatch
amqp_client
rabbitmq_management_agent
rabbitmq_management

Applying plugin configuration to rabbit@90a65858-035c-4b74-be6b-a0e43bb508d1... failed.
Error: noproc

Re-running the pipeline generally "fixes" the problem. But this is eating away at our build minutes, and is quite frustrating to constantly re-run failed pipelines.

We added some `sleep` commands in there to try and slow things down, but thats obviously not working as intended, because we keep getting the "Error: noproc"

I'm hopeful that we are just "holding it wrong" but after lots of googling and experimentation its not clear to me what were doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you can give us.
Please let me know if I can add any additional info that might be helpful.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2019

Hi @john_mccabe

Have you thought about creating a docker image with the configuration you need and publishing it into docker hub? It would save you some time spend installing and configuring stuff.

Regarding the error you see, I would say you have to talk to rabbitmq people. They probably help you to find a way to check when the server will be ready to be used, so you can avoid the intermittent failures.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events