cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collaborative project management with large files

Taylor_Bushell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 1, 2024

Hello,

I am new to Atlassian products, and I am unsure how to best approach this problem.

I am using Bitbucket to host a large project file for unreal engine. I have it working with LFS, source tree and UE’s revision control.

The issue I have is, we are hosting a collaborative project with 50 students working in teams of 6. I have no issue with distributing the repository to them. But I don't know how to allow students to contribute to their teams’ projects, without having to host separate 8-10 large repositories, as we are nearing storage capacity with only 1.

I am unsure how to best manage this group projects and whether this will even be possible to host in 1 Academic workspace.

Should I be using pipelines to distribute projects, setting up forks for teams or creating 8 branches within the repository?

Thank you for taking the time to read through this query,

Any thoughts on what I should be looking into to manage this workspace would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

1 answer

0 votes
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2024

Hello @Taylor_Bushell ,

and welcome to the Community!

Given the limitation that forks do not natively copy the LFS content, I recommend using separate branches in the main repository to track each team's development. This way, teams can work in isolation on their branch and later merge their changes back to the main branch when ready. This would remove the need of having to "duplicate" the LFS files in a forked repository, which would likely exceed the available LFS storage in your current plan.

Another option, in case you're willing to get more LFS space, is to buy additional LFS storage for the price of $10 per 100 GB of LFS  as needed. If you're interested in that option, you can find more details in the below article:

I hope that information helps! Should you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you, @Taylor_Bushell !

Patrik S

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events