Code review in Bitbucket using Git

oscar albrecht May 31, 2014

We are moving from the Visualstudio.com/TFS combination and we are studying the possibilities. I am very excited with the Jira/Bitbucket combination.

Many of our developers are not used to Git development, so we do not the have concept of private branching and so on, everybody is working on a single branch from which we get the code to make the deploys.

We have a major requirement when it comes to code review: we would like to have code reviewers assigned to projects/folders in the project and they would be notified of every commit to that project/folder and, only after the approval, the changes would be commited to the branch.

I know that one could create their own branch and then create a pull request, but this process seems to have many steps, including accessing bitbucket website and using its GUI. I would like to have something automatic (each commit => one notification to the responsible).

Is this possible to do?

Our process is not carved in stone, but I would rather change it smoothly so we have low barriers to the changes we are implementing.

Thanks!

5 answers

0 votes
oscar albrecht June 1, 2014

That is a lot of resources, thanks a lot!
I will take a look into everything. I think we are going to "start slow" so our team get used to git and improve our experience as we get experienced.
Just for sake of completeness, if anyone is looking for some resource to learn git, I gound this link very useful: http://pcottle.github.io/learnGitBranching/

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2014

Also, you will see references in some places to "Git Flow". Please know that Git Flow is a Git extension to support a popular workflow/branching model, but it is not required as part of Git. My company uses Git Flow, but it isn't a perfect fit. You can ignore it completely and use a completely different branching model if that is what's right for your team.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2014

I mentioned SourceTree, which is another Atlassian product, integrates well with Bitbucket, is completely free, and works well (at least in my experience).

On a separate note, you should encourage your team to read/skim the Git Book, especially sections 1.1-1.3 and all of chapters 2 and 3.

0 votes
oscar albrecht June 1, 2014

I do not have that set yet. If there is a tool that helps us, I would be happy to use :)

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2014

How do you plan on managing the local Git repositories? Will you use the command line Git client, SourceTree, or another Git GUI? I know SourceTree, at least, has the ability to create pull requests with a checkbox in the commit dialog.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events