Clear-case UCM to GIT Migration and STASH

Mohan Krishan November 5, 2014

We are planning to migrate our code-base from clear-case to GIT and use STASH for repository hosting and management as we move forward.We have 5 + years of history built in clear-case.Our project structure includes multiple read write and read only clear-case components .Do we have any inbuilt mechanism in stash to support such a project structure ( Multiple RW and RO components in a workspace ( Like google repo ) ? Also , any thoughts on how do we proceed with the migration will be very helpful.

3 answers

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2014

Here is what i found:

https://github.com/charleso/git-cc

(It was not of much use for me.)

0 votes
Mohan Krishan November 6, 2014

Hi Mike ,

Our build environment is windows based and we use snapshot views for development and build.Typical project streams configuration includes about 15 read only components and about 3 Read write components .We are planning to map each UCM clear-case component to a GIT repository.Now to create a workspace we are looking for an approach to pull in all the required components to the client machine ( 15 Read only and 3 read write).

Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2014

Git tracks whole directory trees with each commit, while ClearCase has a file based history. Only baselines are capturing whole directory trees together. Thatswhy i was asking how you use baselines. My understanding is that you can migrate only baselines to commits. Would this be usable for you?

Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2014

May i assume you use UCM?

Mohan Krishan November 6, 2014

Yes we use UCM and we are planning to migrate history corresponding to a baseline to a GIT as you mentioned - baselines to commits mapping . And I guess that is the only option available.

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2014

I once wrote a custom script doing this, just because there wasn't anything usable.

Can you describe your structure and how you use baselines?

My script was creating dynamic views for each basline on the integrations streams and creating a commit based on baseline meta data - basically converting only our major versions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events