Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot push after committing to default

Devon Campbell May 20, 2014

I made the mistake of committing to default on my Bitbucket-hosted Mercurial repository. Now, I can no longer push any changes even if they are on another branch. I get an error:

permission denied to update branch default

I've even tried pushing to a specific branch using `hg push -b BranchName`, but the permission error on `default` is a show-stopper even when I'm not trying to push to that branch. How can I fix this so that I'm able to push changes on two other branches?

1 answer

1 vote
BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

Hi Devon,

Does hg push -f -b BranchName helps? The -f option tells mercurial to force the push operation.

Devon Campbell May 20, 2014

No, that doesn't seem to help. I still get the same error and the changes are not pushed.

BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2014

Do you also have uncommited changes on your current branch? Check with hg status

If so, you can try the following:

1. hg shelve --all
  2. hg up correct_branch_name
  3. hg unshelve

The correct_branch_name is the branch to which you actually wanna push the changes. Afterwards you can do hg commit and hg push to make sure your changes are on the new branch.

Did that fix anything?

Devon Campbell May 21, 2014

I saw that, but he says to use advanced options at the bottom of the push window. Not sure how to translate that to the terminal. He does mention specifying which branch you want to push. I'm guessing that would translate to the -b option which I have tried.

BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2014

I have no uncommitted changes.

BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2014

What is the output of hg status? Can you add this to this discussion?

Sure thing, and thanks for your help. I get no output from hg status.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events