It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Cannot merge pull request if any changes have been made on the target branch

We are unable to merge any pull requests if any changes have been made to the target branch.  Here's a basic example that happens every day:

• Two branches are created off of the same commit in the master branch
  • Work is done in each branch, and then a pull request is submitted for each one.  The work was done in different areas so there will be no merge conflicts when they are merged in.
  • First pull request is merged - merges successfully
  • Second pull request is merged - You get an error message that says "New changes were pushed to master in POOL/demo while the merge was being performed.  Please retry the merge."

We are unable to merge pull requests if ANY changes were made to the target branch after the pull request was created.  I would expect it to deny the merge if there were actual merge conflicts, but it happens every time whether there are merge conflicts or not.

We are on Bitbucket Server 5.9.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi Jon,

What happens when you re-try your merge attempt after some time?

There is a known Bitbucket Server issue. When the target branch is updated, Bitbucket starts background re-scoping to update all pull requests opened against this branch. While re-scoping is running, other pull request will fail to merge. 

Here is the issue I am referring to: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-9709

I just tried again today and it still doesn't merge.  Is it possible the background re-scoping is failing on our server?  How do we troubleshoot that?

If the problem persists, then something is wrong with the server. I recommend to raise a support request. They will be able to analyse your log files and solve the problem.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket Pipelines

Building a Bitbucket Pipe as a casual coder

...ipe.sh :  #!/bin/bash source "$(dirname "$0")/common.sh" enable_debug extra_args="" if [[ "${DEBUG}" == "true" ]]; then extra_args="--verbose" fi # mandatory variables R...

4,093 views 4 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you