Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot download zipped repository

Adrien Gaillard February 26, 2024

Hello,

I can't download the zipped repository because "it is too big".

Screenshot 2024-02-26 142142.png

But:
1) the zipped repository is only about 57MB.
2) I don't know how to reduce the size of the repository. I've removed a whole (unused) branch and the size hasn't changed at all (2.01 GB).

1 answer

1 vote
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2024

Hi Adrien,

The "Download repository" option will download a zip with the source code's main branch. I tried to reproduce this issue and when the repo's size is above 2 GB because of files committed to other branches, the download is not possible and the size reported is the repo's size instead of the zip's size. I will create a bug report for this.

I ran a garbage collection for your repo, this removes any dangling commits that are not referenced by any branches and compresses file revisions. The repo's size is 1.8 GB now. Can you please try downloading the repository again and let me know if it works?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Adrien Gaillard March 4, 2024

Hi Theodora,

Thank you. It works.
Also, I didn't get any warning before it was blocked, which is annoying.

Regards,
Adrien

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2024

You are welcome, Adrien. It's good to hear that it works now.

I created a bug report for this in our issue tracker: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-23142

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Like Adrien Gaillard likes this
Adrien Gaillard May 16, 2024

Hi Theodora,

I've got the same problem again today.
It would be great if something could be done so it doesn't happen again.
At least a warning.

I've done a big clean on the repository, so it should definitely be < 2GB.
Could you run a garbage collection please?

Regards,
Adrien

Ben
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2024

Hi Adrien,

I've executed a gc and can now confirm that you don't have any large repositories so you should be able to perform the download now.

If you notice that same repo increase in size, you'll need to have yourself and your colleagues delete your respective local copy of the repo and clone it again to prevent accidentally pushing the data back to the repository.

The best way to track progress on the bug ticket logged above is to Watch that bug ticket.

Cheers!

- Ben (Bitbucket Cloud Support)

Like # people like this
Adrien Gaillard May 17, 2024

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bbkb/what-are-the-repository-and-file-size-limits-1167700604.html

It says:
image.png

I assume it's the ZIP file that shouldn't be > 2GB not the whole repository.
Our zip files are always under 2GB.
Am I wrong?

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
May 17, 2024

Hi Adrien,

You are right and this is why I created the bug report I mentioned in an earlier reply.

Until that bug is fixed, the only way to download a zip file of the repo from our website is by keeping the repo size below 2 GB.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Adrien Gaillard May 28, 2024

Hello,
The download is still not working.
I thought I had to wait, but nothing seems to be happening. The size is still 2.41GB.
Do I need to wait for it to update?

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
May 28, 2024

Hi Adrien,

I ran another git gc on the repo and its size has been reduced to 156.4 MB. Did you do any clean-up on the repo (e.g. delete branches or rewrite history)?

You should be able to download the repo's zip now.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Adrien Gaillard May 28, 2024

Thanks Theodora,
The repository size is now 156.35 MB

Yes, I did a clean-up on the 16th of May.

Like Theodora Boudale likes this
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
May 29, 2024

You are welcome, Adrien.

A garbage collection runs on every push to a repo, but with different parameters depending on many different conditions. The one we trigger manually optimizes the repository better (but takes much more time) and that was needed here after the clean-up you did on the repo.

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events