Cannot create Bitbucket Pipeline without SSH key

Jan Kammerath June 20, 2021

Hi community,

I was in total shock today as I wanted to enable a pipeline for a new repository. I have 16+ git repos currently in BB and so far everything was absolutely excellent. Today I just wanted to enable pipelines, as I always did, and encountered a weird message:

Two-step verification is required to enable Pipelines

This is weird, because I have 2FA through SSO with Microsoft AAD already and my other repos did not throw any error message like this. In essence the error means that I can no longer use push/pull through HTTPS together with pipelines and are forced to use SSH. This is a huge no-go for me and would cost me days and weeks to implement in my current setup.

Also this change came with no prior warning shots and the documentation's guidelines on how to disable Atlassians 2-step thingy doesn't work at all.

It ruined my day completely and any help is highly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance, Jan

2 answers

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2021

Hi Jan,

We recently started testing two-step verification on Bitbucket users enabling Pipelines in new workspaces as part of our ongoing efforts to prevent abuse of the service by cryptocurrency miners. We're testing these measures ahead of a large-scale release in the coming weeks.

Unfortunately, we ran into some unexpected bugs, which we suspect may have caused the issues you experienced. So, for now, we've rolled back the verification requirement.

We apologize for the confusion and the impact on your business.

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Jan Kammerath June 20, 2021

I finally found a workaround after wasting 3 hours of my Sunday afternoon which should've been 15 minutes.

The workaround is to create an SSH key pair in Sourcetree, insert it into Bitbucket, activate the two-step verification. This process worked although two-step verification is disabled in my Atlassian account.

After the SSH keys were present and two-step verification activated in Bitbucket, I was able to create the pipelines and still use HTTPS for push.

I don't think this is expected behaviour and keep my fingers crossed that my accounts will survive this without any issues.

Bitwise DEVS January 22, 2022

Actually you can still use HTTPS with 2FA and SSH enable altogether by using App Password, thus your HTTPS will be in this format

https://<username>:<password>@bitbucket.org/<username>/<repo>.git

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events