Cannot Restore Write Access to Repository (2 GB Limit Overshot)

Rishabh Malviya July 28, 2017

I recently got the following warning on my repository

This repository reached the 2 GB limit, restricting it to read-only access.

I then followed the instruction given here to reduce my repository size and restore write access.

I ran the following commands in my corresponding local git repo (which was up-to-date with this one) and ran:

git reset --hard <commit-SHA>

git push --force origin master

The first command executed correctly and took me to a commit which I had successfully pushed before, and which was under the 2 GB limit. But the second command gives me the error:

remote: abort: repository is in read only mode (over 2 GB size limit). Learn how to reduce your repository size: https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/xgMvEw.
fatal: unable to access 'https://shinvu@bitbucket.org/checkoutpirates_rishabh/tasks.git/': The requested URL returned error: 403

If I can't force push the reduced repository back, how am I to resolve this issue?

Could someone help me resolve this issue, please?

It is very urgent for me...this is part of a recruitment test which I have to complete tomorrow.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2017

Hi Rishabh, can you try force push again using the Bitbucket account that is the owner of the repository?

I've checked your  remote repository and the size was 9GB. I've run an aggressive gc and the size has decreased to 2.5GB, which means you'll need to reduce the size of your repository a bit more. Please run this command and show us the output so we can also see the size of your local repo.

I've also checked your repository's files and realized that you have a large number of binaries, which are not good candidates for being stored in DVCS systems. For binary or executable storage we recommend you to enable LFS (Large File Storage), or consider another file hosting services  such as DropBox, rsync, rsnapshot, rdiff-backup, and so forth.

Let us know if you need any further assistance!

Best regards,

Ana

Rishabh Malviya August 4, 2017

Hey sorry...I wasn't working on this repository for the past week.

But yes, I got rid of all of the binary files and other unnecessary junk. I've been able to force push and I'm pretty sure the size is well below 2GB right now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events