Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Create Branch With Bitbucket Rest API v.2

Fauzan August 5, 2019

POST https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/{{USERNAME]]/{{MS-NAME}}/refs/branches

with payload :

{
    "name" : "staging",
    "target" : {
        "hash" : "default",
    }
}

and got 400 Bad Request Response

{
    "type": "error",
    "error": {
        "fields": {
            "": "expected a dictionary"
        },
        "message": "Bad request"
    }
} 

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fauzan August 10, 2019

Because the hash need to be defined with source branch

1 vote
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2019

Hello Fauzan,

Thank you for including the endpoint you’re working with along with your JSON payload and the response. When you’re creating your API call, please ensure you’re using "Content-Type: application/json"  to define the payload you’re delivering. Please attempt the call again with the content-type set as application/json and let us know the results.

Source documentation: /2.0/repositories/{username}/{repo_slug}/refs/branches

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Fauzan August 10, 2019

Thanks . But The i 've found the root issue . Because the hash value must be the origin branch

vsingh December 9, 2021

I am still getting the same Bad Request error while creating the BB Branch from python script. 

url="https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/{workspace}/{repository}/refs/branches"

headers = {"Content-Type": "application/json"}
data={"name":"test-branch","target":{"hash":"master"}}

r = requests.post(url, auth=("username", "app_password"), headers=headers, data=data)

0 votes
dwang September 22, 2021

you have an extra comma

0 votes
Grant April 20, 2020

For anyone else finding themselves here, you can use the source branch as the hash e.g.:

-d '{ "name" : "develop", "target" : { "hash" : "master" } }'

This would create develop from master. Although, there seems to be a bug right now for me with the bitbucket UI that shows these only when I filter by merged (or all) branches.

Grant April 20, 2020

Edit: It seems even if I create a branch in the UI then it only shows when I filter by 'merged' or 'all'. Presumably a temporary bug with the UI.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events