Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you limit the number of concurrent builds in pipelines?

Dan Beck September 30, 2016

We're trying to run Maven builds that deploy to a specific set of servers using Pipelines. One potential problem we've encountered is that if multiple users commit and trigger concurrent builds, it may cause problems with deployment.

Is there any way to limit the number of concurrent builds for a branch or force them to run sequentially? Or can we set things up to run just one build at a time?

3 answers

0 votes
Ignacio Mendizabal February 16, 2021

Also, I have one specific step which I don't want to more than one pipeline being executing at the same time. Something like jenkins lockable-resources would be super useful !  https://plugins.jenkins.io/lockable-resources/

Kevin Coy February 16, 2021

That is what we use in Jenkins too

0 votes
eugene.melnikov May 25, 2020

gitlab has `resource_group` option
it'd be nice to have something similar for bitbucket

0 votes
Tom Bradshaw
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2016

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately there is no way for a user to specify a limit on the number of concurrent builds. However, we're interested in what you need in this feature. If you'd like to raise a ticket at https://bitbucket.org/site/master/ we'll have a look at this feedback when considering our roadmap.

Fabian Bahle October 6, 2017

Hi Thomas,

do you know if there was a ticket raised? I would need exactly the same feature because concurrent builds will cause issues for example when running our integration tests (database reset at start) and for those tests we also deploy our application within the pipeline which is also causing problems when two builds deploy at once. That feature would be really helpful.

Regards,
Fabian

Amir Cicak May 29, 2018

Hi,

I am also interested in this. In my case builds should never run concurrently instead they should be queued and executed following timeline of commits, so I would set this number to 1 always if there was such setting. However if you don't do this using queues already I don't think temporary solution of limiting concurrent builds is good idea as some builds can be missed that way.

Thanks 

Kevin Coy January 12, 2021

This would also be needed for doing database migrations and for release/version/tagging.

We still use Jenkins for database builds for this exact reason. Plus, we have to limit PR merging to master to allow the Maven Release plugin to finish before merging another PR.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events