Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have multiple projects/applications in one repository

Shyam February 21, 2022

Can we have multiple projects/applications in one repository,

Like if make changes on one project in that repo, it should not effect on other project..

And is it possible to bring only one file from that one particular project to other project with in repo?

is it advisable to have multiple repositories when we have more projects in our organization   OR one repository with multiple projects? which is recommended? 

Please suggest

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2022

Hi, @Shyam, thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community.

Could you please give us more context about your business case? Why exactly do you want to have multiple applications in the same repository? With this information, we will be able to help you better.

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Shyam February 27, 2022

Hi Caroline,

We have SharePoint on premises 3 environments and different upcoming environments

so For the above situation we want to plan creating repositories for these environments. 

Our Bitbucket is integrated with Jira 

so

is it good to have one repository and multiple projects in it? 

or one project with multiple repositories in it? if yes, why? Please suggest 

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2022

Hi, @Shyam

Thanks for getting back to us! By your description, I understand you are referring to what’s called a Monorepo, a repository that contains more than one logical project (e.g. an iOS client and a web-application).

We do have a very good tutorial that explains the concept, the challenges, and some strategies to work on a monorepo. So, I would recommend that you access this doc to understand if having a monorepo would work for you or if it would be better to split this repository into two or more repos: 

In case you would like to read how to split a repository in two, I suggest the following doc:

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have questions. 

Kind regards, 
Caroline 

Shyam March 2, 2022

Hi Caroline,

Thank you for the response. I believe in my case monorepos is not good option as we do have multiple environments and also environments grows further bigger. Thanks.

Please confirm 

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2022

Hi, Shyam. 

I’m glad to know the documentation helped. In this case, if the different projects you have are unrelated, or if they are related and can be connected by other means, then we recommend that you split this into more repositories.

Kind regards,
Caroline

Like Shyam likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events