Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we create jira ticket from bitbucket pipeline?

Joel Stephen May 18, 2022

I need to create a ticket from the pipeline. From the approval of the ticket, we need to trigger the next step. Is it possible? and suggestion, please.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2022

Hello @Joel Stephen ,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Support!

In order to create Jira issues from within your pipeline build, I would suggest using the pipe jira-create-issue. Pipe is a simple way to configure your pipeline, especially when integrating with other tools/products, as you usually just have to configure a few variables and the rest is already implemented for you.

Following is an example of using jira-create-issue pipe to create a new Jira issue : 

script:
  - echo "This is an example step"
-
pipe: atlassian/jira-create-issue:0.2.0
    variables:
      JIRA_BASE_URL: $JIRA_BASE_URL
      JIRA_USER_EMAIL: $JIRA_USER_EMAIL
      JIRA_API_TOKEN: $JIRA_API_TOKEN
      JIRA_PROJECT: "PROJ"
      JIRA_ISSUE_SUMMARY: "This is a sample issue summary"

For more examples and details on how this pipe can be configured, you can refer to its public documentation below : 

In regards to triggering a pipeline after the respective Jira issue is approved, I'm afraid this is currently not possible. However, in case you want some of the steps to require manual intervention to start, you have the option to use  trigger: manual in your YML file, like the below example  : 

- step:

script:

- npm build

- step:

name: Deploy to production

trigger: manual

script:

- ./deploy_production.sh

Reference:  https://bitbucket.org/blog/pipelines-manual-steps-confidence-deployment-pipeline

Hope that helps to clarify your questions. In case you have any doubt, please let me know.

Thank you, @Joel Stephen !

Kind regards,

Patrik S

Joel Stephen May 19, 2022

Thanks @Patrik S for your suggestion.

Hudson Luiz Sales Schumaker July 25, 2023

Hello,

is there a way on this pipeline to retrieve the "TICKET_ NUMBER" generated when the ticket was created ?

thanks in advance. 

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2023

Hey @Hudson Luiz Sales Schumaker !

I'm afraid the pipe does not currently return the number of the ticket created. If you want, I can create a feature request for our engineering team to implement this functionality. 

Like Katherine likes this
Hudson Luiz Sales Schumaker July 25, 2023

sure thing

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2023

Hey @Hudson Luiz Sales Schumaker 

I've just raised a feature request for it, which you can access at the following link : 

We encourage you to add your Vote there and also mark yourself as a Watcher to receive first-hand updates whenever there's any progress on the implementation of that feature.

Thank you, @Hudson Luiz Sales Schumaker !

Patrik S

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events