Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive email Invite

Sean Teo August 31, 2021

Hi,

Seen a lot of people have the same issue but this is happening here for some of our staff. Is there a way to check a email bounce list as they are not receiving invite to repositories?

Any assistance much appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
rahul.sharma August 31, 2021

If one person stops getting email while others still get them, then it is a problem with their email system, not Jira.  You'll need to look at the email server logs of incoming email to see what that has done with the email so that it doesn't arrive.

Pick on an action that should notify the person that something has happened.

Easiest way to do this is to pick an issue you are sure they should be notified about activity on (ideally one that they don't mind being used for testing this).  Go to that issue, then open up the project settings for the project in another window or tab.

In the project settings

• Check that the permission scheme includes "browse project" for that user - does not matter if they get browse by group, project-role, individual account etc, we're just sanity checking that they have the right to see the issue
  • Check the security level also includes them (if there is an issue-security-scheme in use)
    • Both of the settings above can be checked more quickly by asking the person to visit the issue in their browser.  If they can log in and see the issue, the two above are set correctly.
  • Now open up the project's "notification scheme".  Find an event that they are interested in (issue comment, or issue edit are the two best ones to test with, but you could use any).  Make sure that they are named as a recipient of that event in the scheme.  Again they could be in a named group, project-role, but if you're uncertain, you can (temporarily for testing) add them as an individual (for example, if testing for email going to "nic", then "Issue commented: role developers, single-user:nic, assignee")
  • The last step is to test the event by triggering it.  In my example where I've used comment as the event, you would comment on the issue.   Note that when I say "you", I mean "anyone but the person you are testing for" - you want it to be not the person with the mail problem.

That test will send an email to that person.  If it does not arrive, then I'm afraid there are only two things left:

• Raise a support call with Atlassian, as you'll need them to check the logs at the time you ran this test to see if there is a specific error in the logs on Cloud.  I would expect there not to be (otherwise you'd have other people losing email too)
  • Go back to your email admins, as the email was sent and accepted by your mail system, then vanished.
Sean Teo August 31, 2021

thanks rahul for your reply. I should have specified that the new user is just not getting bitbucket invite.

They can receive emails fine, and I've checked email logs and nothing has hit their inbox. Other staff have received it fine as well but just one particular user. 

rahul.sharma August 31, 2021

The issue usually is that the user was signed up just as or right before their email was created, so the email host sends back a "550 user not found" error to us.

This then puts the email on a block list since the server essentially told us that the user doesn't exist. All it takes is for someone from Atlassian to remove that block, and then you can send a password reset email again.

Or

You can raise ticket to Atlassian support, an Atlassian support engineer checked because sometime user is blocked at their end.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events