Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't manually trigger a pipeline on a self-hosted runner when out of cloud build minutes

Michael Clayton March 22, 2022

I'm currently using a trial account of BitBucket Cloud which includes 50 minutes of build time every month.

I've consumed all of the cloud pipeline minutes for the trial for this month so I've spun up a self-hosted runner on an Azure virtual machine, registered the runner (which shows as ONLINE), and updated my pipeline so that it contains *only* steps that target a self-hosted runner (i.e. every step has "runs-on: self.hosted").

This pipeline is automatically triggered when I make a commit to my repository, and successfully runs to completion on my self-hosted runner.

However, when I try to *manually* run the pipeline with the "Run Pipeline" button on the "Pipelines" page for my repo I get an error message saying "Your account has run out of build minutes. Upgrade your current plan or purchase more build minutes to continue running pipelines." even though all steps target my self-hosted runner.

In order to manually trigger the pipeline (e.g. to incorporate changes I've made to to Repository Variables) I'm currently having to commit a whitespace change to a file in the repository so that the commit triggers a pipeline run instead.

Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?

1 answer

1 vote
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2022

Hey @Michael Clayton ,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Communty.

I was able to simulate the behavior you reported, and it's indeed a bug on our platform.

That said, I went ahead and created the following bug ticket in our public issue tracker for that issue :

I would suggest you to add your vote there, since this helps both developers and product managers to understand the impact. Also, make sure you add yourself as a watcher in case you want to receive first-hand updates from that ticket. Please note that all bug fixes are implemented with this policy in mind.

As a workaround, while our development team works on fixing the bug, you can either push a change to your repository to automatically trigger the build, as you were already doing, or another option is to use our API to initiate the build by the following endpoint :

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other question related to this particular topic.

Thank you, @Michael Clayton .

Kind regards,

Patrik S

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events