Can a person with Read only access to private repository copy and download the repository?

I want to give someone access to my private repository to just review the code and see it but not copy/download the code.

What access level should I grant?

Can read only access prevent downloading/copying repository?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes

Dear Vesh,

The following permission levels and its consequences exist within Bitbucket repositories;

Screenshot from 2017-08-07 09-03-07.png

So, regarding to your question.. yes, people can clone/fork/pull the repository to their local system.

Here a link to the documentation.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

And does cloning/forking means actual download of the repository to the user's computer/laptop or taking the code away from bitbucket?

What type of access do I grant for person to jest review the code but not download it to their system?

Dear Vesh,

Yes, a user will be able to ''clone'' the repository and thus download a repository to his/her local machine and read the files.

Cloning a repository fork or branch

When you want to work on a project by updating its files or adding new files, you need to make a local clone of the remote Bitbucket repository onto your machine or local network. You do this using the Clone button from the Bitbucket repository. If you forked a repository, you simply clone the fork. If you branched a repository, you clone the repository and checkout the branch.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

To follow up on your question that I missed during writing my answer; The three permissions;

• Admin, Write and Read

Will all allow for code to be cloned and thus downloaded to an individual his/her system.

Your request for a user to only review code is practically the same, because some one could still copy code.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Jeremy hits the nail on the head: If a user can read code (even without cloning the repo), there is nothing preventing them from using copy & paste to get hold of the entirety of the code after all.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

22,358 views 26 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you