Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a person be added as a reviewer of a pull request automatically after adding a comment to it

tapi22 September 19, 2018

Hello,

The documentation about creating Pull Requests says something along the lines of "you add a few peers as reviewers ...".

Better suited for our workflow is to NOT specify team members as reviewers, but let whoever wants to review it to do so.

I was expecting that once a person adds a comment to the PR, he/she will be automatically added a reviewer.

Is there a way to enable the above?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2018

Hi Vesselin,

This is not possible -- in fact, Bitbucket used to work this way a long time ago, but it turned out that adding all commenters as reviewers just made the reviewer list long and ambiguous.

That said, any person who can comment can also approve a PR. They don't have to be a reviewer to be able to approve. So Bitbucket effectively already supports what you're trying to do :)

Hope that helps!

Alastair

tapi22 September 25, 2018

Hey Alastair,

Thanks for your reply!

It would have been better to make this old behaviour (which is great for our workflow!) configurable instead of removing it completely ... but I'm sure Atlassian had good reasons to do so.

Yes, everyone can indeed approve a PR, but my though was more to have an easy overview of who's started to review a PR. IMHO if 3 other people are looking at a PR already, there's no point in me looking at one. Of course all 3 people that start to look at a PR can assign themselves as reviewers manually ... but that's quite a clunky process :(

Anyways, thanks a lot for your reply!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events