Can I use one existing SSH key for two different computers?

Djordje Stojanovic January 22, 2021

The computer I used so far is in service, and since I need access to my work, I received another computer from the company to use. So I'm wondering if it's possible to use an existing SSH key from my bitbucket account on my current computer? Please, can you explain to me how?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2021

Hi @Djordje Stojanovic yes you can. It would be safer to create new key and invalidate the old one in bitbucket configuration, but you can reuse it.

It is enough to copy private and public part of the key from previous computer to a new one.

Disk location should be ${home}/.ssh where ${home} depends on your operating system. For Linux systems it is /home/{username}/.ssh.

Djordje Stojanovic January 23, 2021

In that case, I will choose the safer option and create a new SSH key. Thank you for the answer @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ .

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2021

Good choice 🙂

Like Djordje Stojanovic likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events