Can I migrate a user to a team?

Before the introduction of "Teams", we created the equivalent by setting up a new user account e.g. "CompanyName".

We're now in the position that we would really like to convert this account to a team of the same name in order to make use of "projects". We have numerous automated builds set up that depend on that part of the repo path so ideally, this team would have the same name.

Is this possible without too many arduous steps? I.e. rename account (thus breaking all automated builds), set up the new team then migrating all those repos over. When we went through this process on Github, there was a handy "Make this account a team account button".

1 answer

0 votes
Lucas Moura Atlassian Team Aug 09, 2017

Hi Dan,

According to our documentation:

You can't convert an individual account to a Bitbucket team and vice versa. As an alternative, you can Transfer repositories and groups to your team to reassign existing repositories to a team.

Hope that it helps.

Lucas de Moura

Not really what I was after because we're looking to maintain the repo urls, but thanks for the swift response. Assuming then there's no convenient method, if we were to:

1. Create a new account with a temporary name: CompanyNameTemp
  2. Migrate all accounts from the user CompanyName to user CompanyNameTemp
  3. Delete the user CompanyName
  4. Create a new team CompanyName
  5. Migrate all accounts back from CompanyNameTemp to CompanyName

Would we have any issues at #4 creating a new Team with the same name as a recently deleted user and subsequently migrating a bunch of repos back to a previously used (but now deleted) repo address?

@Lucas Moura just wondered if you could answer my follow up question?

"Would we have any issues at #4 creating a new Team with the same name as a recently deleted user and subsequently migrating a bunch of repos back to a previously used (but now deleted) repo address?"

Lucas Moura Atlassian Team Aug 18, 2017

Hi Dan,

You should not face big problems because they are two different types of account.

Please pay attention before Delete the user CompanyName, make sure that you migrate everything to CompanyNameTemp.

Best regards,

Lucas de Moura 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

675 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot