Can I migrate a user to a team?

HeyDanThomas August 9, 2017

Before the introduction of "Teams", we created the equivalent by setting up a new user account e.g. "CompanyName".

We're now in the position that we would really like to convert this account to a team of the same name in order to make use of "projects". We have numerous automated builds set up that depend on that part of the repo path so ideally, this team would have the same name.

Is this possible without too many arduous steps? I.e. rename account (thus breaking all automated builds), set up the new team then migrating all those repos over. When we went through this process on Github, there was a handy "Make this account a team account button".

2 answers

1 vote
Lev Gimelfarb July 19, 2019

The easiest is to go to your generic company account at https://bitbucket.org/<youraccount>, go to Settings->Account Settings and change Username and Workspace ID to something different. After that, you will be able to create a new team with your old generic company account name. Then you can create projects, etc.

0 votes
lumoura
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2017

Hi Dan,

According to our documentation:

You can't convert an individual account to a Bitbucket team and vice versa. As an alternative, you can Transfer repositories and groups to your team to reassign existing repositories to a team.

Hope that it helps.

Lucas de Moura

lumoura
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2017
Like Wim_vander_Veen likes this
HeyDanThomas August 10, 2017

Not really what I was after because we're looking to maintain the repo urls, but thanks for the swift response. Assuming then there's no convenient method, if we were to:

1. Create a new account with a temporary name: CompanyNameTemp
  2. Migrate all accounts from the user CompanyName to user CompanyNameTemp
  3. Delete the user CompanyName
  4. Create a new team CompanyName
  5. Migrate all accounts back from CompanyNameTemp to CompanyName

Would we have any issues at #4 creating a new Team with the same name as a recently deleted user and subsequently migrating a bunch of repos back to a previously used (but now deleted) repo address?

HeyDanThomas August 17, 2017

@lumoura just wondered if you could answer my follow up question?

"Would we have any issues at #4 creating a new Team with the same name as a recently deleted user and subsequently migrating a bunch of repos back to a previously used (but now deleted) repo address?"

lumoura
Atlassian Team
August 18, 2017

Hi Dan,

You should not face big problems because they are two different types of account.

Please pay attention before Delete the user CompanyName, make sure that you migrate everything to CompanyNameTemp.

Best regards,

Lucas de Moura 

Jon Karnofsky July 26, 2018

@HeyDanThomas Did you attempt this, and if so, did it work for you? I have the exact same scenario.

Paul_Ojanen February 19, 2019

@HeyDanThomas Did deleting the named user account and creating the named team work for you?

@lumoura Did you confirm that this would work?

I want to do this too.  @Jon Karnofsky Did you try it?

Dan Thomas February 20, 2019

We never actually went through with this, scheduling appropriate time for bulk repository migration has been challenging. Please do update here if you go through with it though.

Paul_Ojanen February 20, 2019

I've got few repos to migrate.  Rather, I wish one of our users hadn't claimed the name I want for the team.  So I'll try the deletion, and see if the name becomes available as a team.

Jon Karnofsky February 20, 2019

@Paul_Ojanen I never ended up going back to it, sorry. If I do and it works, I'll update in here. Thanks! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events